As North Carolina’s urban research university, UNC Charlotte is a diverse and inclusive institution with local-to-global impact that transforms lives, communities, and industries through access and affordability, exemplary bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral, and professional programs, scholarship, creative work, innovation, and service.Approved by the UNC Board of Governors on July 20, 2022.
To be a globally recognized, emerging top-tier research university driving discovery and innovation, while advancing student access and social mobility, nurturing talent, fostering excellence, and ensuring equity.
The University of North Carolina at Charlotte comprises a large and diverse community of faculty, staff, students, and alumni who, together, pursue the institution's mission and vision. To frame our actions and shape what's next, we commit to:
- Academic Excellence: Realizing higher education's transformational power by providing an exemplary academic experience for all students.
- Access and Social Mobility: Providing education that has profound social and economic value and lifelong impact for students from all backgrounds.
- Discovery, Innovation, and Creativity: Engaging in inquiry to generate new knowledge, modes of expression, understanding, and solutions to society's most significant challenges.
- Community Engagement: Collaborating with local, state, national, and global partners to prepare our students to be engaged and effective citizens and to promote the common good through research and service that addresses a broad range of social needs.
- Integrity and Respect: Ensuring the highest academic, professional, and ethical standards and a collegial culture that embraces different perspectives, civil discourse, and free expression, where all University members are treated with respect, fairness, and dignity.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Eliminating barriers and creating an inclusive and equitable culture of belonging for students, faculty, and staff of different ages, races, ethnicities, backgrounds, identities, and abilities.
- Environmental Stewardship: Pursuing sustainability and environmental justice to protect the planet through education, research, stewardship of scarce resources.
- Performance and Accountability: Utilizing data to inform university policies, programs, and actions and to assess progress through relevant measures.