As we close out another record-breaking year, there’s so much for us to celebrate. Together, and despite the ongoing pandemic, we have made momentous gains, including:
- Record fall enrollment of nearly 30,500
- Over 8,400 degrees and certificates awarded
- Record fundraising support of $74 million
- Historic investment of over $134 million from our state’s General Assembly
This past year, as we celebrated the 75th anniversary of this great University, our campus rallied together as we introduced Shaping What’s Next, a bold 10-year strategic plan that articulates a new vision as an emerging top-tier research university that is ready and eager to meet new challenges.
Supporting our strategic goals, we embarked on many key initiatives. Here are just a few highlights:
- Welcoming our inaugural Chief Diversity Officer, a Cabinet-level position that reports directly to me, and the new Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Being invited to and accepting the invitation to join the American Athletic Conference.
- Establishing the interdisciplinary Center for Computational Intelligence to Predict Health and Environmental Risks (CIPHER), which will help to predict and prepare for the next global pandemic.
- Establishing the School of Professional Studies to support flexible lifelong learning opportunities for working professionals.
- Creating a one-stop shop for our corporate partners to easily become connected with the University via the new Office of Corporate Engagement.
- Rebranding as “Charlotte” to better clarify and identify our unique connection to this wonderful metro area.
Thanks to the collective efforts of dedicated faculty and staff, the University is on a strong path, and national organizations and media are taking notice. The University’s innovative response to the COVID-19 pandemic received a national award from the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), and the University was recognized for the first time by U.S. News & World Report for excellence in innovation.
I hope you will watch our year-in-review video and spend some time on our annual report website for a more complete picture of the incredible past 365 days.
Niner Nation’s future is bright. We can’t wait to show you how we are shaping what’s next in the new year.